Earlier this season, when Notre Dame took on Temple on Halloween, ESPN college football analyst Chris Fowler played a prank on his booth mate Kirk Herbstreit, bringing out two zombies mid-broadcast to scare the College GameDay star. Tuesday night, Herbstreit finally got his revenge.Ahead of the duo’s appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live, Herbstreit had a zombie jump from behind a closed door to frighten Fowler. Fowler’s reaction wasn’t quite as strong as Herbstreit’s, but it was still a solid effort.Enjoy:
Greg McElroy is impressed with Ohio State.McElroy, the former Alabama quarterback who helped Nick Saban win his first national title with the Crimson Tide in 2009, is now a college football analyst for ESPN. On Saturday, he was the color commentator for the Buckeyes’ game against Tulsa.The 28-year-old analyst came away thinking highly of Ohio State.During the broadcast – a 48-3 OSU win – McElroy was asked if he thinks the Buckeyes are a legitimate College Football Playoff contender.“Absolutely,” he replied.On Twitter this morning, McElroy praised the Buckeyes again.“Team is only going to get better,” he wrote.Really enjoyed my 1st trip to Columbus. @OhioStateFB is the real deal. Didn’t play great, still won big. Team is only going to get better— Greg McElroy (@GregMcElroy) September 11, 2016The big test for Urban Meyer’s young squad comes next week, as Ohio State is traveling to Oklahoma.The Buckeyes and the Sooners are set to kick off at 7:30 p.m. E.T. on FOX Saturday.
Lionel Messi deserves to win the Ballon d’Or this year, according to Barcelona and Brazil great Rivaldo. Messi enjoyed another stellar season for Barca, scoring 51 goals in all competitions as the Spanish giants claimed the La Liga title. Despite the league win, Messi found little other success on the year. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Barcelona came short in the Champions League, falling in dramatic fashion to Liverpool in the semi-finals, and lost the Copa del Rey final. Messi’s year also hit a snag with Argentina. The 32-year-old could not inspire his team beyond the semi-finals, and was sent off in the match that saw them claim third place in Brazil, prompting him to hit out at referees and CONMEBOL . His words also brought about plenty of negative reaction as well, with opposing players , CONEMBOL and even the referees to hit back at his perceived lack of respect. Despite that, Rivaldo believes Messi should be awarded an outright record sixth Ballon d’Or. “In my opinion, the Ballon d’Or of this season is Messi for what he has done,” the 1999 winner said, courtesy of Betfair. “He didn’t win the Champions League, but because it is an individual prize he scored a lot of goals, important goals.” Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo have each won five Ballons d’Or, claiming the prize in every year since 2008 before Luka Modric ended their run in 2018. Both should be in the running again this year despite a perceived down year from the Portuguese star in his first season with Juventus. Ronaldo netted just 21 times in Serie A for Juventus as the club strolled to the title, but couldn’t carry his club past the quarter-finals in the Champions League. Yet he did find success on the international level, helping Portugal to the inaugural UEFA Nations League crown. And Rivaldo thinks there is much more to come from both players next season. “They are such great players. I like them both,” he said. “Messi always makes the difference at Barcelona and Ronaldo at every club and the national team – Juventus and Portugal. “It’s going to be thrilling again. When you talk about them it’s for something good, they both score so many goals.”
Neymar has returned to training with Paris Saint-Germain, but a television interview with the forward may now not be aired in his native Brazil after the recording was stolen.The world’s most expensive footballer did not report to training last week as expected, leading PSG to release a strongly worded statement criticising him.Neymar’s official website published photographs on social media of him back at work, yet the 27-year-old continues to be engrossed in controversy. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Messi a man for all Champions League seasons – but will this really be Barcelona’s? He had recorded an interview with Brazilian television network Band in which he was expected to talk about his future at PSG, with a return to Barcelona rumoured.However, on Monday, Band said the car where the recording of the interview was being stored had been stolen.A statement from Sao Paulo civil police office confirmed a vehicle belonging to the journalist who interviewed Neymar had gone missing.It is the latest twist in a summer of speculation for Neymar, as his future with the Ligue 1 champions has become clouded.PSG had hinted at possible exit for the Brazil star when club president Nasser Al-Khelaifi declared “nobdody forced him to sign” when questions of his future with the French giants arose in June.Those hints were confirmed last week when new PSG sporting director Leonardo admitted Neymar could leave, provided the club received a suitable offer for the forward they paid a €222 million (£200m/$250m) fee for back in 2017.Leonardo also confirmed the club had engaged in “superficial talks” with Barcelona over a potential deal, but the Liga champions had not made a formal offer.Rumours heated up even more this past weekend, when Kia Joorabchian, agent to Philippe Coutinho, accused the club of attempting to negotiate a swap deal of his client for Neymar despite assurances from Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu there would be no sale of the ex-Liverpool man.Neymar himself only added fuel to the fire when he posted a video to Instagram which displayed an image of him in a Barca shirt, along with a biblical verse.The star man also declared his greatest footballing memory was being part of Barca’s historic Champions League comeback against PSG, though his father, Neymar Sr., has since said it was not intended to disrespect the French club.
BOCA RATON, FL – SEPTEMBER 1: Head coach Lane Kiffin of the Florida Atlantic Owls throws the ball prior to the game against the Navy Midshipmen on September 1, 2017 at FAU Stadium in Boca Raton, Florida. (Photo by Joel Auerbach/Getty Images)FAU finalized a decade-long contract extension with Lane Kiffin after just one year with him at the helm of the Owls. It’s not hard to see why; he dominated the Sun Belt in year one and is poised to do so again this season.Kiffin was floated for a few different jobs that opened this off-season, though it didn’t sound like he was seriously considered for them. Even some Tennessee fans were open to a reunion, even with how poorly his last brief stint there lasted.Instead, he is back for a second fall in Boca Raton. The team is the favorite to repeat for the Sun Belt title, and could even compete for the Group of Five’s New Year’s Six game bid.Lane Kiffin may be inked to stay in FAU for 10 years, but the details of the new contract make it very likely that this fall will be his last at FAU.In college football coaching contracts, the number of years is basically meaningless. The only time it is really worth paying attention to is if a coach is actually entering his final year.Few programs ever allow things to get that far. Coaches on their final year can be the target of negative recruiting.The buyout is the most crucial number for both sides. With this new Kiffin deal, it is not a very big number for a school that wants to hire Kiffin to meet.According to FAU Owl Access, his buyout number has not been amended. It will cost a team $2 million to poach him away.FAU elected not to alter the buyout clause in Kiffin’s contract. Leaving between now and January of 2019 would cost Kiffin $2 million. The buyout drops $500,000 per year through 2021.If the Owls have the type of season most expect, it is hard to imagine him not landing a big job, unless the market is just very small. We should be seeing Kiffin back in a major conference pretty soon.[FAU Owl Access]
PASADENA, CA – JANUARY 01: A B-2 Spirit performs a flyover prior to the College Football Playoff Semifinal between the Oregon Ducks and the Florida State Seminoles at the Rose Bowl Game presented by Northwestern Mutual at the Rose Bowl on January 1, 2015 in Pasadena, California. (Photo by Stephen Dunn/Getty Images)Notre Dame entered the 2018 college football season with lofty expectations. The Fighting Irish were ranked inside the top 10 of the preseason polls and listed as a top College Football Playoff favorite.ESPN’s College Football Playoff predictor gave Notre Dame some of the best odds in the country. The preseason projection listed the Fighting Irish’s chances of making it at better than 40 percent.That is changing, though, and quickly.Notre Dame remains undefeated, and the Fighting Irish have looked good today against Wake Forest, but ESPN’s College Football Playoff predictor is no longer high on them.ESPN’s current College Football Playoff predictor odds list Notre Dame’s chances at 13 percent, which is three times lower than where the Fighting Irish began the season.This is just a predictor, though, and things can obviously change moving forward.Still, ESPN’s predictor is not currently high on Notre Dame.
BOONE, NC – SEPTEMBER 17: A general view of the game between the Miami Hurricanes and Appalachian State Mountaineers at Kidd Brewer Stadium on September 17, 2016 in Boone, North Carolina. (Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images)Week 7 of the college football season kicked off tonight as Appalachian State traveled to Jonesboro, Ar., to take on Arkansas State in a Sun Belt showdown. The Mountaineers entered the game scoring over 51 points per game, but were shut out in the first quarter.That all changed when running back Jalin Moore reeled off a 27-yard touchdown to give App State a 7-6 lead. The run came at a price, however.As Moore extended to reach the ball over the goal line, an Arkansas State defender fell on Moore’s right leg. The senior tailback suffered a gruesome injury after the defender put his weight on Moore’s lower leg.Trainers immediately rushed to Moore’s side and placed an aircast on his lower leg. He then had to be carted off the field.Warning: Video of the play contains graphic material.Prayers to Jalin Moore this is awful @AppState_FB pic.twitter.com/kRG7PnHZ8h— ℂ???? ℍ???? (@ChrisHooks0223) October 10, 2018Moore is the team’s leading rusher this season.It’s a tough injury for the senior running back who was putting together an impressive season.
MIAMI GARDENS, FL – OCTOBER 08: Miami Hurricanes head coach Mark Richt tries to calm the fans after throwing debris on the field during a game against the Florida State Seminoles at Hard Rock Stadium on October 8, 2016 in Miami Gardens, Florida. (Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images)Week 9 of the college football season kicked off earlier this week with a handful of Thursday and Friday night games. Among them was an ACC contest between two 5-2 programs.Boston College and Miami battled it out on Friday night for the right to become bowl eligible. The Eagles dominated the second half of the game defensively en route to a 27-14 win that put the program in contention for a solid bowl game.After the loss, Miami’s fans and former players took to Twitter to call out head coach Mark Richt. Among the former players was star defensive lineman Warren Sapp.Sapp took to Twitter to rip head coach Mark Richt after the loss. He was not happy.“It’s official!! The U is Dead Under Mark Richt!!!” Sapp wrote on Twitter.It’s official!! The U is Dead Under @MarkRicht !!!— Warren Sapp (@WarrenSapp) October 27, 2018Richt is just a season removed from having an undefeated Miami program at No. 3 in the country with a 10-0 record before losing their final two games of the regular season.Is it already time to move on from Richt?
Clemson defensive end Xavier Kelly, who played with both C.J. Fuller and Tyshon Dye, shared a very touching drawing he did of the two on social media.Kelly’s talents clearly extend far beyond the football field. From early this morning:I got emotional when I drew this one💯💪🏾#RIPCJ #RIPTYSHON pic.twitter.com/Sn9RHDv9Aj— xavier kelly (@xavierkelly22) July 10, 2019Kelly is entering his redshirt junior season at Clemson. He joined the program and redshirted in 2016, when both Fuller and Dye were members of Clemson’s backfield.Our thoughts continue to go out to everyone impacted by the passing of both C.J. and Tyshon over the last few months. They are both gone far too soon. CLEMSON, SC – SEPTEMBER 01: Defensive lineman K.J. Henry #13 of the Clemson Tigers reacts as he runs off the field with teammates defensive end Xavier Kelly #22, safety Nolan Turner #24, and linebacker Jalen Williams #30 after the Tigers force a Furman Paladins fumble during the fourth quarter of the football game at Clemson Memorial Stadium on September 1, 2018 in Clemson, South Carolina. (Photo by Mike Comer/Getty Images)While the Clemson Tigers football program has thrived on the field recently, it has also had a tough few months. We’ve seen a number of former Tigers pass away recently, some of whom died tragically young.Last October, C.J. Fuller died after complications stemming from football-related knee injury that he had been rehabbing, including pulmonary thromboembolism and deep vein thrombosis.The former Tigers running back played for the program from 2014-17. He was just 22 years old.Just days ago, another former Clemson running back, Tyshon Dye, passed away. The 25-year old, who played at Clemson from 2014-16 before transferring to ECU, drowned in a Georgia lake over the Fourth of July weekend.
KNOXVILLE, TN – NOVEMBER 10: Head coach Jeremy Pruitt of the Tennessee Volunteers on the sidelines during the first half of the game between the Kentucky Wildcats and the Tennessee Volunteers at Neyland Stadium on November 10, 2018 in Knoxville, Tennessee. Tennessee won the game 24-7. (Photo by Donald Page/Getty Images)“Tweet through it” is often a strategy used by people going through a tough time on social media. That’s not what Tennessee football’s official account has done in the wake of Saturday’s upset loss, though.The Volunteers’ official account has decided to just not weigh in at all.Tennessee, which fell to Georgia State in the biggest upset of Week 1, has not tweeted since early in the fourth quarter on Saturday.The last tweet: True again.@bmancimaglia knocks it through from 31 yards.#Vols in front, 23-21. 12:05 left to play. pic.twitter.com/WzHkvjR3xf— Tennessee Football (@Vol_Football) August 31, 2019As you can see, this tweet has received nearly 500 responses, basically all of which come from angry Tennessee fans.This is the most recent tweet from the Tennessee football account. Needless to say, it got ratio’d. https://t.co/s3LIx3tHKX— Andy Staples (@Andy_Staples) September 1, 2019Someone check on Tennessee football. I’ve never seen a team’s twitter account not tweet a final score, even in a loss. https://t.co/sfvuCRD3tC— Shawn Smith (@gbbcountry) September 1, 2019As of noon E.T. on Sunday, the Volunteers’ account had yet to tweet anything new.We’ll set the over/under on a new tweet appearing on Tennessee’s feed at 3 p.m. E.T.